Tired of making multiple visits to your dentist for your restoration?
Or does your temporary crown affect your speech? We have good news to share with you: Alpha Dental offers single-appointment quality CEREC restorations that reduces the number of visits to the dental office with more esthetics and comfort.
What is CEREC?
CEREC (Chair-side Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics) is a 3D CAD/CAM technology developed in Germany in the 1980s. CEREC is a form of indirect restoration. On the first visit of doing an indirect restoration, you get an injection of anesthesia, your tooth prepared, an impression taken, and a temporary restoration put on your tooth. You make a second appointment approximately one week later, get another injection, have the temporary pried off and have a permanent restoration put on. With CEREC that happens in a single appointment, from start to finish.
- CEREC crowns are made in one visit, saving considerable time for the client
- With CEREC, there is no need for a temporary crown, which eliminates a significant potential discomfort for the client.
- CEREC crowns have no metal in them, and thus are reasonably esthetic and biocompatible.
- CEREC material and technology can also be used for fillings (inlays/ onlays). Since they are made out of ceramic, they are more durable than white composite fillings.
- Since CEREC crowns are milled out of a single block of ceramic, it is difficult to incorporate the subtle color gradients of natural teeth. The blocks are created with a color gradient, but it is a standard color gradient. They look great on back teeth, but do not have the esthetic quality of laboratory-made crowns for front teeth. However, with the right equipment and a highly skilled cosmetic dentist, a natural-looking result is still possible.
- Using CEREC technology requires extra training on the part of the dentist. You need to be sure your dentist is expert in this technology.
To keep up with advancement in dental technology, Alpha Dental emphasises on continuing education for our Dentists and Dental Assistants. With the support from Sirona, the company behind the CEREC system, all our dentists received rigorous training to become expert CEREC users. We are pleased that two of our Dentists, Dr Jackie Wang and Dr Cathy Zhang, having undergone an intensive four-day certification course in October 2010, and are now certified Qualified CEREC Trainers.